Commercial EPC’s

All properties in the United Kingdom require an Energy Performance Certificate whether they be residential, commercial, for sale or to rent. Commercial properties, or “non-dwellings” require the attention of specifically qualified inspectors and our team at Mercian Property Inspectors is able to service the needs of the owners and agents for these buildings. The following pages have been included to help answer some of the questions and issues already raised by individuals and organisations across the country.

All commercial buildings when put on the market for sale or on assignment of lease and on construction or modification, require a commercial EPC. These EPC’s will be valid for ten years or until a more recent version is available

There are a few exceptions;

  • Places of worship
  • Temporary buildings < 2 years
  • Stand alone buildings with floor area < 50sq m
  • Buildings with low energy demand

We are proud of our prompt and professional services and are happy to answer any questions you may have relating to Energy Performance Certificates.

Call us today on 0845 652 8842 (local rate), alternatively click here to complete an enquiry form.

How MPI can help

Building on our proven record in domestic energy assessment, MPI offer the same level of professional service to the commercial property sector.
We offer our services to clients tailored to match their particular needs. This ensures that they receive the required service at the right time. Once the instruction is made they can relax in the certain knowledge that we will take care of everything else.

Property inspection levels

Inspectors are required to be qualified for the type of building being assessed. For non-dwelling EPC’s, the levels are:

  • Level 3 – simple, existing non-dwellings: small buildings such as converted houses or doctors surgeries
  • Level 4 – new and existing non-dwellings: e.g. small purpose built office buildings
  • Level 5 – new and existing complex non-dwellings: e.g. large office buildings or factories Commercial energy inspections are carried out by our certified inspectors. We are currently able to undertake inspections at level 3 and level 4. Levels 3 and 4 accounts for 70-80% of all commercial buildings.


The energy assessment of commercial buildings is a complex activity. The level of fee is dependant on the size and complexity of the building and whether the inspector has access to the correct type of information about the building and its services.


MPI is able to advise you on any questions that you may have on implementation of commercial EPC’s. We are more than happy to respond to individual queries and to pursue issues with the Department for Communities and Local Government should the answer to your question be unclear or outside their current advice.

Commercial EPC FAQ

Can a prospective tenant or buyer waive their right to receive an EPC?

The relevant person has a duty to provide an EPC to a prospective buyer or tenant and will be liable to a penalty charge if he fails to do so, irrespective of whether the prospective buyer or tenant purports to waive an entitlement to receive the certificate.

Do I have to act on the recommendations?

You are under no obligation to act on the recommendations for energy improvements to the building. However, taking action on the recommendations is likely to improve the energy efficiency of your building, reduce your fuel bills, cut its carbon emissions and could make it more attractive to potential buyers or tenants in the future.

I’m selling a building for demolition – do I need an EPC?

If you can demonstrate the building is suitable for demolition and the resulting site is suitable for redevelopment and you believe on reasonable grounds that the prospective buyer or tenant intends to demolish the building, you do not need to provide an EPC. Generally this can be demonstrated by having the relevant planning permission or evidence that planning permission has been applied for.

What software can be used to produce EPC's?

Only software approved by Communities and Local Government can be used to produce EPC’s.

What if a building is required urgently for rental and there is no time to commission a property inspection?

This is permissible under the regulations if there is an emergency requiring a tenant’s urgent relocation. An EPC should be provided as soon as practicable after renting out the building.